- 1. Perky-Pet Oriole Jelly Feeder
- 2. Heath Outdoor Products CF-133 Clementine Oriole Feeder
- 3. AmishToyBox.com Oriole Bird Feeder
- 4. Twinkle Star Oriole Bird Feeder
- 5. NEROSUN Baltimore Oriole Feeders
- 6. Birds Choice Oriolefest Oriole Bird Feeder
- 7. RM FOLD ART Hummingbird Feeder
- 8. FORUP Oriole Bird Feeder
- 9. Perky-Pet 465-2 Vine Oriole Feeder
- 10. FORUP Oriole Bird Feeder
- Oriole Feeder Selection Tips
- Types of Oriole Feeders
- Top Oriole Feeder Brands
- Oriole Feeding FAQs
Orioles are beautiful, unique birds that a lot of people enjoy having visit from time to time in their yard. The best way to attract the bird is to have feeders designed specifically for them.
The Baltimore oriole is an icterid blackbird that eats a similar diet to a hummingbird. In fact, those with hummingbird feeders will find a lot of similarities between the two. The differences are, the oriole feeders are orange, and they have larger perches. Also, orioles will also eat fruit like oranges and jelly.
With a pretty simple diet, buying a feeder is the next step to really having new success attracting the birds to a yard. Here are 10 of the top Oriole feeders on the market right now. People should be looking for those bird feeders that cater specifically to the oriole. Since each bird has a slightly different preference, it just makes sense to shop this way.
If you’re looking to attract orioles to your yard, the Perky-Pet Oriole Jelly Feeder is a great option. With its inverted jelly jar and built-in stirrer, your jelly will stay fresh and dry, and the large circular feeding tray with a wraparound perch gives your orioles plenty of room to feast. Plus, the vibrant orange tray is sure to catch their eye.
- Attracts orioles with their favorite sweet treat and bright orange tray
- Large circular feeding tray with wraparound perch accommodates multiple birds
- Built-in stirrer ensures the perfect amount of jelly is dispensed into the tray
- Plastic chain is flimsy and may need to be replaced with a sturdier metal chain
- Price may be considered high for an all-plastic feeder
- Tray may leak when jelly melts
The Perky-Pet Oriole Jelly Feeder is a versatile feeder that can accommodate most store-bought jelly jars with 2.5″ openings. Its inverted jelly jar protects the jelly from the elements, ensuring that it stays fresh and dry. The built-in stirrer on the base allows for the perfect amount of jelly to be distributed into the tray every time.
While the feeder’s plastic chain may be flimsy, it can easily be replaced with a sturdier metal chain. Additionally, the tray may leak when the jelly melts, but this can be remedied by placing a small dish under the feeder to catch any drips.
Overall, if you’re looking to attract orioles to your yard, the Perky-Pet Oriole Jelly Feeder is a great option that is sure to catch their eye with its vibrant orange tray and keep their favorite sweet treat fresh and dry.
If you’re looking for a simple and durable oriole feeder, the Heath Outdoor Products CF-133 Clementine Oriole Feeder may be a great option for you.
- Feeds 2 orange halves, grape jelly, nectar or mealworms
- Durable UV-resistant powder-coated steel
- Simplistic design offers a clear view of orioles as they feed
- Glass cup may be difficult to clean
- Orange halves may slide off the spikes
- Some users reported issues with the hanging chain
This feeder is made of sturdy and long-lasting powder-coated steel that can withstand the elements. Its design is simple and offers a clear view of the orioles as they feed. You can use it to feed grape jelly, nectar or mealworms, and it can hold 2 orange halves on its spikes.
The feeder comes with a removable glass cup that can be used to hold grape jelly or nectar. However, some users reported that the cup may be difficult to clean. Also, some users mentioned that the orange halves may slide off the spikes, but this can be easily fixed by using a ziptie or bending the slopes upwards.
Overall, the Heath Outdoor Products CF-133 Clementine Oriole Feeder is a great option for those who want a simple and durable feeder that can attract orioles to their yard.
If you want to attract beautiful Orioles to your property, the AmishToyBox.com Oriole Bird Feeder is a great option.
- Made by Amish folks in Shipshewana, Indiana
- Built to last a lifetime with stainless steel fasteners and fade-resistant poly lumber
- Features jelly cup and pegs for mounting oranges and citrus
- Expensive compared to other options on the market
- Some customers reported that it attracts other birds besides Orioles
- May require frequent cleaning to prevent mold growth
This Oriole feeder is eco-friendly and made from recycled milk jugs. It comes complete with a jelly dish for putting grape jelly or other goodies for Orioles as well as pegs for putting orange halves on. The feeder is designed to hold grape jelly and oranges for Baltimore and Orchard Orioles. It is a lovely accent to your lawn or garden and feeds your Oriole friends too.
The AmishToyBox.com Oriole Bird Feeder is a bit pricey compared to other options on the market, but it is built to last a lifetime with stainless steel fasteners and fade-resistant poly lumber. Some customers reported that it attracts other birds besides Orioles, so keep that in mind if you only want to attract Orioles. Additionally, it may require frequent cleaning to prevent mold growth.
Overall, if you want a high-quality Oriole feeder that is built to last and eco-friendly, the AmishToyBox.com Oriole Bird Feeder is a great option.
If you want to attract orioles and other birds to your yard, the Twinkle Star Oriole Bird Feeder is a great choice.
- The bright orange color of this feeder will attract more birds to your yard.
- This feeder can hold three kinds of food – nectar, oranges, and grape jelly – making it versatile and attractive to a variety of birds.
- The large clear dome plastic baffle protects the food on the feeder from sun, rain, and squirrels.
- The nectar container could be larger.
- Some birds may not drink from the sugar water container.
- The plastic construction may not be as durable as metal.
This all-in-one bird feeder is perfect for those who want to attract orioles and other birds to their yard. The feeder is easy to fill and clean, with a clear nectar container and thick plastic jelly cup. The feeder is also weatherproof and squirrel-proof, making it a great choice for bird lovers who want to keep their feathered friends safe and happy.
In addition to being functional, this feeder is also aesthetically pleasing, with a vivid orange powder-coated metal construction that will stand out in any garden or yard. The feeder is easy to adjust and hang, and it comes with everything you need to get started.
Overall, if you’re looking for a high-quality oriole bird feeder that is versatile, durable, and easy to use, the Twinkle Star Oriole Bird Feeder is a great choice. It’s also a great gift for bird lovers, gardeners, and anyone who enjoys the beauty and joy of birds.
If you’re looking for an affordable and efficient bird feeder, the NEROSUN Baltimore Oriole Feeders is a great option.
- The transparent roof design provides shelter for birds during rainy weather.
- The squirrel and ants can’t get close to the feeder, ensuring that only birds can feed from it.
- The fresh fruit attract more birds to your garden, yard, or any other place you put the feeder.
- The feeder may be a bit awkward to assemble and take apart for storage.
- The space to fly into the feeder may be too small for some birds.
- It may take some time before birds start to use the feeder.
The NEROSUN Baltimore Oriole Feeders is a well-made bird feeder that is easy to clean and install. The feeder comes with a transparent roof that provides shelter for birds during rainy weather, and the squirrel and ants can’t get close to the feeder, ensuring that only birds can feed from it. The feeder is made of high-quality plastic and iron, and the fresh fruit attract more birds to your garden, yard, or any other place you put the feeder. However, the feeder may be a bit awkward to assemble and take apart for storage, and the space to fly into the feeder may be too small for some birds. Additionally, it may take some time before birds start to use the feeder. Overall, if you’re looking for an affordable and efficient bird feeder, the NEROSUN Baltimore Oriole Feeders is a great option.
Looking for a versatile feeder that can attract a variety of birds to your lawn? Look no further than the Birds Choice Oriolefest Oriole Bird Feeder.
- This multi-tasking feeder offers 4 feeding ports, 4 jelly trays, and a spiked brass hanging rod that doubles as a citrus skewer to accommodate nectar, jelly, and half of an orange, complete with a stunning vibrant orange finish to effectively entice orioles into your lawn.
- In addition to Orioles, this hanging feeder entices Catbirds, Flickers, Woodpeckers, and Hummingbirds, making it an excellent choice for bird enthusiasts.
- Features an ant moat and bee guards, making it a convenient and safe option for both birds and humans.
- The feeding holes may not be bee-proof, which could be a concern for some users.
- Some users have reported that the bottom falls off or that the feeder hangs crooked.
- The Orioles may not drink the sweet water even though it is one of its purposes.
The Birds Choice Oriolefest Oriole Bird Feeder is a dainty yet mighty option that measures 10.5″ x 10.5″ x 9″ to accommodate smaller birds. Its high-impact polycarbonate construction is top-rack dishwasher safe, making it easy to clean. With its unique features such as a built-in ant guard, it is simple to fill or clean, UV stable, dishwasher safe, and freeze proof. Whether you are a seasoned birder or just starting out, this versatile feeder is sure to attract a variety of beautiful birds to your lawn.
If you’re looking for a sturdy and durable hummingbird feeder, the RM FOLD ART Hummingbird Feeder is a great option.
- The bright color and charming cup appearance can attract more hummingbirds to perching and feeding.
- The high-grade metal ant traps hooks have high load-carrying capacity and are suitable for all types of hanging feeders.
- The cleaning brush included makes it easy to clean feeder ports and other hard-to-reach places.
- The feeder accessory hook is sold separately from the bird feeder.
- The ant moat may need to be refilled often in hot weather.
- Some customers have reported that the hooks can be difficult to attach to the feeder.
This feeder is an environmentally friendly way to attract hummingbirds to your backyard. The feeder’s bright color and charming cup appearance can attract more hummingbirds to perching and feeding. The high-grade metal ant traps hooks have high load-carrying capacity and are suitable for all types of hanging feeders. The cleaning brush included makes it easy to clean feeder ports and other hard-to-reach places.
However, the feeder accessory hook is sold separately from the bird feeder and the ant moat may need to be refilled often in hot weather. Some customers have reported that the hooks can be difficult to attach to the feeder. Overall, if you’re looking for a reliable and durable hummingbird feeder, the RM FOLD ART Hummingbird Feeder is a great choice.
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly oriole feeder that’s easy to clean and looks great, the FORUP Oriole Bird Feeder is a solid choice.
- Made of high-quality plastic and powder-coated metal construction for long-lasting use
- Detached bowl design makes cleaning quick and easy
- Vivid colors attract more birds and make your garden stand out
- The 3 oz capacity may not be enough for larger bird communities
- The wire holding the heart seems a little flimsy
- Some users found the orange halves difficult for birds to access
This feeder is eco-friendly and a great gift for bird lovers, gardeners, and anyone who wants to add a touch of class to their outdoor oasis. The open top hook allows for easy hanging, and the feeder can hold grape jelly and oranges, which are favorite foods of orioles.
The FORUP Oriole Bird Feeder is lightweight and easy to move around, but some users found the quality to be lacking. The plastic bowl for the jelly and the flower stem for the orange section are flimsy, and the bowl may not be large enough for larger bird communities. However, the feeder is easy to clean and looks great in any garden.
Overall, if you’re looking for an affordable oriole feeder that looks great and is easy to clean, the FORUP Oriole Bird Feeder is definitely worth considering.
If you’re looking for an oriole feeder that’s easy to use and clean, the Perky-Pet Vine Oriole Feeder is a great option.
- Three feeding ports with vine-style perches to accommodate multiple birds
- Soft, flower-shaped feeding ports inspired by nature
- Built-in ant moat and bee guards keep insects out
- Not dishwasher safe, hand wash only
- Liquid does not fill inside the bottom part of the feeder, birds are not able to drink from it
- One of the perches was missing
This feeder is designed to attract orioles to your backyard with its bright orange accents and flower-shaped feeding ports. The vine-style perches are also a nice touch, and they can accommodate multiple birds at once.
One of the best features of this feeder is its built-in insect defenses. The bee guards keep bees away from the nectar, while the ant moat prevents ants from crawling down to the ports. This makes it easier to keep your feeder clean and free of unwanted pests.
The feeder is also easy to take apart and clean, which is important for maintaining the health of your backyard birds. However, it’s worth noting that this feeder is not dishwasher safe and should be hand washed only.
One potential downside of this feeder is that the liquid doesn’t fill inside the bottom part of the feeder, which means that birds may not be able to drink from it. Additionally, some customers have reported missing perches upon delivery.
Overall, if you’re looking for a reliable and easy-to-use oriole feeder, the Perky-Pet Vine Oriole Feeder is a solid choice.
If you want to attract orioles to your garden, the FORUP Oriole Bird Feeder is a great option with its colorful design and eco-friendly materials.
- Made of high-quality plastic and powder-coated metal for long-lasting use
- Easy to clean with a detached bowl design
- Vivid colors attract more birds and make your garden stand out
- The wire holding the heart seems a little flimsy
- The bowl for the jelly is plastic, not glass
- Some customers have reported that the feeder is not large enough for orange halves
This feeder has a 3 oz capacity and measures 7.5″L x 7.5″ W x 10.5″ H, making it able to feed birds’ favorite foods such as grape jelly and oranges. It’s also a dual-purpose feeder, allowing for both nectar and swing. The FORUP Oriole Bird Feeder is a great gift for bird lovers, gardeners, and anyone who enjoys adding a touch of class to their outdoor oasis.
In summary, if you’re looking for an attractive and eco-friendly feeder to attract orioles to your garden, the FORUP Oriole Bird Feeder is a great choice.
Oriole Feeder Selection Tips
Orioles are unique among all bird species in that they follow what you may call an ‘idiosyncratic diet’. Unlike most birds, they won’t even touch seeds but prefer foods that are high in sugar content, so we are talking fruits like orange, grape, etc., but also grape jelly and nectar. In the summer months, however, when they are hatching, the birds would mostly settle for a protein-rich mealworm diet. And this is the most peculiar thing about an oriole’s diet—that it keeps changing its preferences throughout the season.
For instance, it is not uncommon to find a drove of orioles, who looked perfectly content to nibble away at orange halves or slices for a couple of weeks, suddenly turning to a grape jelly-only diet or a grape jelly-plus-nectar diet for the next few weeks. Normally, however, they seem to prefer the sugary foods during the spring and fall months (i.e., at times when they are either settling back from or preparing for migration) and mealworms (live or freeze-dried) in the summer.
Then there are different species, such as the most commonly found Baltimore Orioles, but also Orchard Orioles, Hooded Orioles, Bullock’s Orioles and others. And different orioles may have different diet preferences, something you would need to consider as well when choosing your oriole feeder or feeders. In short, it is somewhat of a tricky choice when it comes to selecting an oriole feeder for your backyard.
Of course, the most economic and convenient solution would be to settle for a feeder that lets you put jelly in one or more cups, skewer orange halves to a metal hook or into separate stakes and includes a dish feeder with feeding ports—as in a common hummingbird dish/highview feeder. The Birds Choice Oriole Fest from our above list is a good example of such an all-in-one solution.
However, this type of feeder has its disadvantages as well. Firstly, when orioles settle for the grape jelly more than the orange or other fruits, they tend to gorge mainly on the jelly itself, while seeping the nectar only occasionally. This means that much of your nectar concentrate will normally go to waste as sugar water goes stale rather quickly. If you’ve hummingbirds visiting your yard as well and if you think that the nectar will be emptied out by those hummers—well, unfortunately, that won’t be it either! An oriole normally doesn’t allow another oriole to eat from a feeder when he/she is there (unless it is one of its young), let alone other birds.
In such a scenario, it is better to go for one or more separate nectar feeders in addition to dedicated oriole orange and jelly feeder models. We’ll talk some more on this while discussing the different types of oriole feed stations. Before that, here are some general selection tips for oriole feeders:
1. Always go for models that contain a generous amount of the color orange as orioles are most readily attracted to the color.
2. Make sure the jelly cups (that you’ll later use to place mealworms) are easy to attach and clean. In the summer months, these cups can get really messy or gooey, so it’s important that you can clean them well without too much of a hassle.
3. Try to go for a model that provides some kind of protective cover for the food without obstructing their visibility (The Bird Choice Oriole Feeder from our list is a good example).
4. Keep an eye for models with built-in accessories such as ant moats, bee guards, etc.
Types of Oriole Feeders
Mainly, there are two types of oriole feeders: one, that includes a nectar bowl as well as separate cups for putting jelly plus one or two stakes to skewer orange halves and then, there are the models that have provisions for jelly cups and oranges but without a nectar bowl. Now, what type you should go for depends primarily on the food preferences of the species of orioles that visit your backyard and then, whether or not you receive both orioles and hummingbirds in your yard.
If you’ve hummingbirds coming to your yard, you must always put separate nectar feeders for the birds. The hummers are smaller in size and also less aggressive than the orioles and there is no point making them compete with orioles for their diet of nectar fluid.
In fact, as you may’ve already noticed from our above list that some bird feeder manufacturers have nectar feeder models especially designed for orioles. These models feature liberal splashes of orange in their design and are also equipped with larger and spacious perches meant to accommodate the larger-bodied orioles.
Top Oriole Feeder Brands
As always, Perky Pet is a brand to reckon with when it comes to birds feeders and accessories. And this is again exemplified in their dedicated jelly feeder and in the beautifully hand-painted oriole nectar feeder models covered on our list. Both are extremely innovative models offered at an affordable price. However, when it comes to oriole feeders in particular, two brands we like the best are the Birds Choice and the Songbird Essentials. They offer a wide variety of dedicated oriole models at reasonable prices and we especially appreciate the attention to details that are noticeable in almost all their models.
The price of an oriole feeding platform chiefly depends on the materials used, construction quality and the design details of the models. You can get a wide variety of decently manufactured models in the price range of $10-$20 whereas the higher end models will cost you around $35 to $40.
Oriole Feeding FAQs
How do I attract orioles to my feeder?
Bright flowers, adequate nesting provisions, insects, perches, feeders and water—these are some of the key ingredients when you’re trying to attract these beautifully plumaged and amazing songbirds to your colorful and virid backyard. Keep it in mind, too, that orioles are characteristically shy and it may take some time before they warm up to your garden and keep frequenting it. So, do the right things but also have patience enough!
For a start, orioles normally prefer shadier spaces where they can feel safe enough. So, a space offering a mix of shrubs, bright flowered plants, meadow, lawn as well as tall trees are ideal to make them feel at home.
A layered space. It is a good idea to build a trellis and grow a variety of nectar-rich plants underneath it. Grow some trumpet vine that shall support itself on the trellis. Then, create a layer with some smaller, herbaceous plants that will grow underneath the trellis. In addition, you may hang some ceramic pots or tubs containing a number of different plants with nectar-rich and brightly-colored flowers.
Nesting and Perching. Orioles will use the tall trees for purposes of nesting and perching. These birds normally favor the drooping branches of willows, poplars, maples or conifers. If your garden is lacking in these tall trees, you may use small perching twigs and dead branches as substitutes. Make sure to keep these provisions close to their feeding platforms.
Water. As with most birds, orioles love to bathe frequently in shallow water, especially in the summer months. A bathing station no deeper than two inches should be perfect. But they also like to cavort in small pump-fed waterfalls or simply flit through a drip system or a garden mister and get their feathers wet.
What flowers attract Orioles?
All tubular, bright-colored and nectar-rich flowers will attract orioles. On the other hand, fragrant flowers that attract insects often deter orioles or hummingbirds from flocking your backyard.
What is the best food to feed orioles?
As we’ve already mentioned, the food preferences with orioles keep changing with the changing seasons. During summer, feed them with enough mealworms, a necessary source for protein at a time when they are breeding and raising their young. In spring and fall, the birds normally stick to a sugary food diet consisting of ripe fruits, grape jelly as well as nectar. Usually, they make the switch from orange or other fruits to jelly and nectars pretty soon. All the same, make sure to put some impaled orange halves in your oriole feeder at the beginning of the season. The bright color of the orange itself will help big time in attracting these beautiful songbirds to your yard.
When should I put out my oriole feeder?
Almost all species of orioles found in North America spend their winters in Mexico and Central America and migrate to different parts of United States once the spring sets in. Expect them from around the start of May and they will leave again in September at the latest. So, now you know when to put out your oriole feeders!
How do you keep bees from an oriole feeder?
First of all, keep your backyard and garden space as clean as possible. Put some wasp traps near the oriole feeder. Also make sure to buy a feeder that doesn’t drip and have no yellow in them. If you still have bees/wasps foraging the grape jelly, take the feeder down, clean it thoroughly and once it is dry, rub fresh mint all over the outer surface of the feeder. This should be enough to take care of the bees. Also, during summertime, use live instead of dried-out mealworms to keep the bees away.