- 1. Kingsyard Bird Feeder for Outside
- 2. Perky-Pet C00322 Red Cardinal Bird Feeder
- 3. SWEETFULL Solar Bird Feeder for Outdoors Hanging
- 4. Decflow Bird Feeders
- 5. Nature’s Way Bird Products CWF3 Cedar Platform Tray Bird Feeder
- 6. PLOCVY Bird Feeder
- 7. Meleave Bird Feeders for Outside
- 8. Kingsyard Bird Feeder House
- 9. Kingsyard Adjustable Platform Bird Feeder
- 10. Forfuture-go Bird Feeder
- Cardinal Feeder Selection Tips
- Types of Cardinal Feeders
- Top Cardinal Feeder Brands
- Feeding Cardinals Questions and Answers (Q&A)
Little is known about Cardinals, the gorgeous, enchanting and striking bright red birds that often frequent most parts of the southwest of the United States of America. A rare sight for avid bird watchers, and a wildly protected bird by several organisations fighting for the protection of endangered species, the Cardinal represents more than just color, grace and pure splendor. It is so adored that it is the official bird for more than 8 US states. Seeing one is therefore a distinctly unique moment, let alone an entire flock. So it isn’t surprising that you will go out of your way to get lovely treats to attract them, just for that special experience of seeing them on your doorstep. Here’s our list of top cardinal feeders recommended to give you that awe-inspiring encounter with one of the most highly esteemed birds in the whole world.
If you’re looking for a sturdy and functional bird feeder that can withstand outdoor elements, the Kingsyard Bird Feeder for Outside is definitely worth considering.
- The clear top cover helps keep seeds dry in any climate, making it a weatherproof option.
- It has functional compartments that can hold up to 2.5lbs of seeds, allowing you to attract a variety of birds.
- It’s easy to refill and clean, with a simple lift of the top lid or base.
- The openings that the feed drops into the tray are small, making it difficult for larger feeds like berries and nuts to pass through.
- The dome to tray opening could be larger, as it may cause seed to drop to the ground.
- Some users have reported issues with squirrels, raccoons, and other animals trying to access the feeder.
This bird feeder is a great option for anyone looking to invite feathered friends to their backyard environment. With its unique design and durable materials, it’s sure to attract a variety of birds and provide enjoyment for your family and friends. Plus, the 100% satisfaction guarantee ensures that you can purchase with confidence.
If you want to attract a variety of your favorite bird species to your yard, the Perky-Pet Red Cardinal Wild Bird Feeder is a great choice. Its circular seed tray and all-metal mesh surface create a large feeding area, allowing up to 15 birds to feed at once. The feeder also holds up to 2.5 lb of black oil sunflower seed – the most popular type among backyard birds. Its all-metal construction and zinc-plated finish ensure durability and resist damage by squirrels. Plus, the large overhang provides shelter and shade for birds.
- Attracts Clinging & Perching Birds – The mesh makes the perfect landing place for clinging birds, while perching birds appreciate the 360-degree seed tray.
- Feed up to 15 Birds at Once – The diamond-shaped mesh surface and circular seed tray create a large dining area to accommodate up to 15 birds simultaneously.
- All-Metal Construction – With no wood and no plastic, and featuring a rust-resistant, zinc-plated finish, this feeder ensures long-lasting durability.
- Collapsible Design – This metal mesh feeder is collapsible to allow for space-saving storage when not in use.
- Large Seed Capacity – This feeder holds up to 2.5 lb of black-oil sunflower seed.
- Built-in Hanging Hook – The convenient built-in hanging hook allows for versatile placement around your yard.
The Perky-Pet Red Cardinal Wild Bird Feeder is a great feeder for attracting a variety of bird species to your yard. Its all-metal construction and zinc-plated finish ensure durability and resist damage by squirrels. However, the feeder’s collapsible design may not be ideal for those who prefer a more permanent fixture. Additionally, the built-in hanging hook may limit placement options for some users. Overall, this is a solid choice for anyone looking to attract birds to their yard.
If you’re looking for a durable bird feeder with a solar garden lantern, the SWEETFULL Solar Bird Feeder for Outdoors Hanging is a great option.
- The hollow-out design allows you to easily observe the remaining seed level.
- Made of durable metal with anti-rust coating, this feeder can withstand sunlight and rain.
- The “S” pothook makes it easy to hang anywhere.
- The hole reserved at the bottom only allows small birds to feed.
- The solar light only lasts for a short time compared to other solar lights.
- Some birds may not be attracted to the feeder.
This bird feeder is perfect for those who want to attract birds to their garden while also adding a decorative touch. The hollow-out design allows you to easily observe the remaining seed level, so you know when it’s time to refill. Made of durable metal with anti-rust coating, this feeder can withstand sunlight and rain, making it perfect for outdoor use. The “S” pothook makes it easy to hang anywhere, and the feeder is easy to fill and clean.
One downside to this feeder is that the hole reserved at the bottom only allows small birds to feed, so larger birds may not be able to use it. Additionally, the solar light only lasts for a short time compared to other solar lights, so it may not be as effective at night. Finally, some birds may not be attracted to the feeder, so it may take some time before you start seeing birds feeding from it.
Overall, the SWEETFULL Solar Bird Feeder for Outdoors Hanging is a great choice for those who want a durable bird feeder with a solar garden lantern. It comes with a 180-day warranty, and the manufacturer is available to answer any questions you may have.
If you’re looking for a durable and unique bird feeder that is easy to install and clean, the Decflow Bird Feeder is a great choice.
- Durable metal construction for long-lasting use
- Large 4 lb seed capacity to attract a variety of birds
- Easy to install and clean with removable bottom
- May not be suitable for larger birds due to limited feeding area
- Not completely squirrel-proof
- Design may not be to everyone’s taste
The Decflow Bird Feeder is made entirely of metal, making it a sturdy and durable option for your feathered friends. Its large 4 lb seed capacity allows you to fill it with a variety of seeds to attract different types of birds. The feeder is also easy to assemble and clean, with a removable bottom that makes cleaning a breeze.
While the feeder is not completely squirrel-proof, it is difficult for animals like squirrels, deer, and raccoons to open the lid once the top and bottom are tightened. The unique lighthouse design is sure to add a decorative touch to your outdoor space, but may not be to everyone’s taste. Additionally, the feeding area may be more suitable for smaller birds and may not accommodate larger birds as well.
Overall, the Decflow Bird Feeder is a great option for those looking for a durable and unique bird feeder with a large seed capacity.
If you’re looking for a durable and innovative bird feeder, the Nature’s Way Bird Products CWF3 Cedar Platform Tray Bird Feeder is a great option for attracting a variety of birds to your backyard.
- Extra spacing to accommodate large birds like Cardinals and Jays.
- Removable Fresh Seed Tray.
- Keeps seed fresh by allowing water to drain and air to flow freely.
- The feeder swings a lot when larger birds use it.
- The screws holding the black wire fell out after a month.
- The mesh screen may not hold all types of seeds.
This feeder is constructed from naturally rot-resistant premium Cedar using stainless steel screws, making it durable and built to last for years of birding enjoyment. The perforated seed tray allows water drainage to keep seed fresh longer and is removable for easy cleaning.
The extra spacing provided by this feeder allows for larger birds like Cardinals and Jays to comfortably perch and eat. The removable fresh seed tray makes it easy to clean and refill, helping to keep the feeder in good condition for longer. Additionally, the design of the feeder allows water to drain and air to flow freely, keeping the seed fresh and preventing mold and mildew growth.
However, the feeder may swing a lot when larger birds use it, which could be a potential annoyance. Also, the screws holding the black wire may fall out after a month, which could be a potential issue. Lastly, the mesh screen may not hold all types of seeds, which could limit the variety of birds that visit the feeder.
Overall, the Nature’s Way Bird Products CWF3 Cedar Platform Tray Bird Feeder is a great option for bird enthusiasts looking for a durable and innovative feeder to attract a variety of birds to their backyard.
If you’re looking for a versatile bird feeder that is easy to use and clean, the PLOCVY Bird Feeder is an excellent choice.
- Large capacity bird feeder with 360° sturdy perch and 6 ports for comfortable feeding.
- Retractable and adjustable design that can hold up to 4.4 lbs of seeds, attracting a variety of bird sizes for 360 degree feeding.
- Made of super strong anti-rust powder coated metal that is durable and not easy to deform, with a gazebo design that prevents seeds from getting wet and deters squirrels.
- Some customers have reported that the feeder is not completely squirrel-proof.
- A few customers have found it a little difficult to add feed to the feeder.
- The product is only available in one color (red).
This bird feeder is perfect for bird lovers who want to attract a variety of bird species to their backyard, garden, deck, balcony or front porch. The large opening makes it easy to fill, empty, and clean, and the sturdy wire rope hook allows you to hang it securely in any location.
In summary, if you’re looking for a durable and versatile bird feeder that is easy to use and clean, the PLOCVY Bird Feeder is an excellent choice.
If you’re looking for a durable and functional bird feeder, the Meleave Bird Feeders for Outside is a great option.
- Made entirely of metal, chew-proof, and all-weather resistant finish.
- Large capacity, easy-fill design, and accessible 360° feeding tray.
- Decorative bird feeder that holds up to 6.5 lbs. of bird seed and supports a range of different birds.
- Drainage holes are minimal and not adequate to drain the water from the tray when it rains.
- The mechanism to double the capacity of the feeder is a little weird.
- Perches are too small for larger birds like Ring Neck Doves and Blue Jays.
Crafted with chew-resistant, waterproof metal, this bird feeder is designed to stand up to sharp talons, heavy pecking, and even rain, snow, and inclement weather. The four-sided food distribution design with four long, fold-out bird perches supports birds landing and feeding from every side, making it a smart choice for avid bird watchers and natural lovers. The mesh paneling on all four sides, as well as the drainage system on the bottom, helps keep seeds fresher, longer, which is vital to bird health and sustainability.
The Meleave Bird Feeders for Outside is a great way to attract a variety of birds including finches, cardinals, blue jays, robins, and much more wild birds. It’s easy to fill with food birds love, including corn, peanuts, dark oil sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, nuts, and organic product seeds. With a large capacity of up to 6.5 lbs. of bird seed, you won’t have to refill it as often.
Overall, the Meleave Bird Feeders for Outside is a great investment if you’re looking for a durable and functional bird feeder that can withstand the elements and attract a variety of birds to your yard.
If you’re looking for a sturdy and charming bird feeder that can hold different types of seeds, then the Kingsyard Bird Feeder House might be the perfect choice for you.
- The charming house design is a great addition to any backyard.
- With built-in drainage holes, seeds remain fresh.
- The feeder can hold up to 1.2 lbs of mixed seeds, 0.7lb black-oil sunflower seed, and 0.7lb nyjer seed at once.
- Some customers have reported that the feeder is smaller than they expected.
- The metal mesh may not be suitable for smaller seeds.
- The feeder may be difficult to clean if not maintained regularly.
This bird feeder is a great addition to any backyard environment. The charming house design is a unique feature that will attract a variety of birds, including cardinals, goldfinches, and chickadees. The built-in drainage holes ensure that the seeds remain fresh, making it a great choice for those who want to attract birds all year round. With three compartments that can be filled with different types of seeds, you can attract an even larger variety of birds.
One of the main benefits of this feeder is its ease of use. The lid easily lifts, making it easy to refill and clean. The feeder’s large capacity means that you won’t have to refill it as often, giving you more time to enjoy the birds that visit your backyard. The feeder’s sturdy design also means that it can withstand harsh weather conditions, making it a great investment for those who want to enjoy nature all year round.
Overall, the Kingsyard Bird Feeder House is a great choice for anyone looking for a charming and sturdy bird feeder that can hold different types of seeds. With its unique design and built-in drainage holes, you’re sure to attract a variety of birds to your backyard. And with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, you can purchase with confidence knowing that the manufacturer stands behind their product.
If you’re looking for a durable and adjustable bird feeder that will keep squirrels at bay, the Kingsyard Adjustable Platform Bird Feeder is a great option.
- The adjustable design allows you to control the size of visiting birds.
- The rust-proof metal base maintains balance even in windy weather.
- The special system in the top keeps squirrels away.
- Some users reported that the feeder tray unscrews and falls off.
- The feeder is primarily designed for small birds.
- The acrylic dome may not be as durable as other materials.
This bird feeder is a great option for those looking to invite a variety of birds to their backyard environment. The adjustable design allows you to control the size of visiting birds, while the rust-proof metal base maintains balance even in windy weather. Additionally, the special system in the top will keep squirrels away, making it a great option for those who want to keep their feeder exclusively for birds.
While some users reported that the feeder tray unscrews and falls off, others found it to be very sturdy. Additionally, the feeder is primarily designed for small birds, so if you’re looking to attract larger birds, this may not be the best option. Finally, while the acrylic dome is thick, it may not be as durable as other materials.
Overall, if you’re looking for a bird feeder that is adjustable, durable, and squirrel-proof, the Kingsyard Adjustable Platform Bird Feeder is a great option.
If you want to enjoy the beauty of wild birds up close, then the Forfuture-go Bird Feeder is a great choice.
- Made of premium transparent acrylic, which allows you to observe the colorful wild birds nearby up close without obstacles.
- With strong suction cups, won’t fall off. Our window bird feeder with strong suction cups that can hold enough weight to ensure withstand multiple birds staying at the same time.
- Easy to clean the Window Bird Feeder, you can quickly wipe away any surface dirt or water stains with a damp towel or wash it directly.
- The size of the feeder is relatively small.
- The suction cups may not work well on some types of windows.
- The feeder may not be suitable for larger birds.
The Forfuture-go Bird Feeder is made of premium transparent acrylic, which allows you to observe the colorful wild birds nearby up close without obstacles. With strong suction cups, the feeder won’t fall off and can hold enough weight to withstand multiple birds staying at the same time. The super strong suction cups can secure the bird feeder to the window at a certain height to prevent damage from squirrels. It is easy to clean the Window Bird Feeder, and you can quickly wipe away any surface dirt or water stains with a damp towel or wash it directly.
However, the size of the feeder is relatively small, and the suction cups may not work well on some types of windows. The feeder may not be suitable for larger birds. Overall, the Forfuture-go Bird Feeder is a perfect gift for bird watching enthusiasts to enjoy bird watching in front of our windows every day. If you are looking for a unique gift for an elder, a curious child, a nature lover, our acrylic bird feeder is the best choice for you.
Cardinal Feeder Selection Tips
When choosing a cardinal bird feeder, there are a few things about these birds that you would like to remember. These are:
– Cardinals are significantly larger than common songbirds.
– They have thick, strong, and large beaks.
– They like to perch comfortably while eating and like to eat facing forward. Unlike many smaller birds, they don’t feel comfortable twisting their body in order to get to their food.
– Cardinals don’t migrate, so once they become accustomed to your yard, they will keep visiting every day all year round. Which means you’ll be using your cardinal feeder during winter as well.
– Cardinals are ground feeders, too, and they don’t like to eat off feeders that are hung too high for their taste.
Now, once you keep these facts in mind, it’ll be that much easier for you to choose a feeder that cardinals would develop a liking for and to which they would keep coming back.
As we’ll discuss in the next section, there are many different types of cardinal feeders and you can choose one that will be the most convenient for your purpose. However, many feeders that are ideal for feeding cardinals are also good at feeding many other birds as well. For this reason, they are seldom advertised specifically as ‘cardinal feeders’ and this may sometime create doubt or confusion in the buyer’s mind. (Refer to our list above and you’ll see that very few of them are named ‘cardinal feeders’ as such and yet all of them work great when it comes to feeding these gorgeously bright red- or orange-feathered creatures.)
So, here are a few things to keep in mind while selecting a cardinal feeder.
1. Tube and mesh feeders are not at all ideal for cardinals. Firstly, as mentioned, they don’t like twisting their bodies while eating but that is what they will need to do if feeding from a tube feeder. Then, the openings in the meshes are often not large enough to get their food out (they have large beaks, remember?). All the same, if you’ll still like to settle for a tube or mesh feeder (probably because you want other birds to feed from the same feeder as well), make sure the feeder features a large tray at the bottom. This way, the cardinals will be able to perch comfortably and eat off the plate. [Some of these feeders may not come with an in-built tray but will still offer you the option to attach one at the bottom.]
2. By far, simple tray/platform feeders or hopper feeders are best options when it is a question of feeding cardinals. Cardinals thrive on a varied diet and tray feeders are great since they allow you to put an assortment of foods on a single platform (including mealworms, since cardinals like eating insects, too). On the other hand, a hopper feeder is great to use in winter since they offer great protection for the foods and will keep ice and snow out of your feeder. Many hopper feeders (with their locked roofs and weight-adjusted perches) are also great in keeping squirrels away from the feeder.
3. And squirrels are something that you need to be wary of when feeding cardinals. Since cardinal feeders are commonly hung at a low height, they are easier for squirrels to get into. In order to prevent this from happening, you’ll either have to select a feeder that is ‘truly’ squirrel-proof or you’ll have to think of some other means to keep these rodents away from your cardinal feeding station.
4. Since you’ll be feeding the cardinals all year round, it is important that the feeder you choose is made of sturdy material (preferably metal); is rust proof; and so forth.
5. In addition to the feeder, we strongly recommend that you get a separate bird waterer model for your cardinals and place it somewhere close to their feeder. Yes, you may’ve a bird bath in your yard already and usually that ought to suffice. But keep in mind, too, that cardinals are somewhat shy by nature and they would rather have their own water source than having to drink from a common bath. In addition, unless you’re using a HEATED Bird Bath, the water will freeze during winter.
6. Finally, a word of CAUTION: Do NOT use a window feeder to feed cardinals unless you have to. Yes, we know we’ve included two window feeders on our list, but that is strictly meant for folks who do not have a backyard space to feed birds. Well, the thing is, notwithstanding their shyness, cardinals are also known to be fiercely territorial and they are likely to bang on your window glass once they see their own reflection on it. And thereby badly injure their beaks. So, if you ARE using a window feeder for cardinals, we strongly suggest that you put up a WINDOW STICKER on the adjoining glass.
Types of Cardinal Feeders
As we mentioned, not many models are sold as dedicated cardinal feeders. Any of the different types of bird feeders can serve as a feeder for cardinals as long as they fulfill the above-mentioned criteria.
That said, two types of feeders are normally considered as ideal for cardinals.
1. The Hopper Feeders
2. The Tray/platform Feeders
The hopper feeders are great for more than one reason. Most of these models are sturdily built and can be considered as ‘all-weather’ models, especially since their closed structures help keep the food fresh and keep rain and snow away. In addition, many of these models also come as ‘squirrel-proof’ feeders which is, of course, so much the better.
Tray feeders, on the other hand, give you the freedom to place a variety of foods at a single place. With the tray feeders, you also have the liberty to offer different foods at different seasons. However, one shortcoming with this type of feeder that they are not too good at providing enough protection from weather. For this reason, we suggest that you look for a model that will have drainage properties (by way of little holes at the bottom of the tray) and that you also use some kind of protective covering over the feeder, especially during the winter months.
Finally, cardinals also love eating suets. The suet cakes especially act as a good source of energy for the birds during winter. So, if you’ve a SUET FEEDER handy, you can use it to feed cardinals during the cold season. Better yet if you settle for a hopper feeder model that come with snap-on suet baskets at sides.
[Check this great model, for example: https://www.amazon.com/Audubon-Seeds-Hopper-Feeder-7452R/dp/B000E69UC4]
Top Cardinal Feeder Brands
Both Perky Pet and Droll Yankees have some great models that you can use for feeding cardinals. Both these brands enjoy high reputation in the bird feeding world and you can rest assured that you’ll be getting your money’s worth when you’re choosing a model manufactured by one of these brands. At the same time, we’ll also encourage you to check some of the Audobon models offered by different manufacturers, especially in the Tray and Hopper Feeder categories.
– Average Pricing
As with everything, the more you pay, the more you get! You can have many decent models under $20. However, our suggestion is that since you’ll be using the feeder all year round, it is better to invest in a higher-priced model that will come in durable materials and will last long.
Feeding Cardinals Questions and Answers (Q&A)
What attracts cardinals to your yard?
Naturally, the cardinals will be attracted to your yard if you furnish your yard with their favorite foods. And more importantly, if you offer those foods in a manner favorable to them.
For instance, we’ve already mentioned that cardinals don’t like to eat off feeders hung too high. In addition, you must also see to it that the feeder is placed close to some dense thicket of shrubs, bushes, etc. Cardinals are shy by nature, so they normally like to hide themselves in dense but low thickets. Also, if you place the feeder in too open a place, they would feel themselves vulnerable to predators (such as cats, hawks, etc.).
What is the best seed for Cardinals?
Cardinals will eat a variety of seeds (as well as other foods) including Striped Sunflower seeds, Black Oil Sunflower seeds, Safflower and White Milo. The birds will gorge on any of these seeds. However, we recommend that you use either safflower, striped sunflower or a safflower+ sunflower seeds mix for your cardinals (you may prepare your own mix or use some commercial ‘cardinal blend’ offered by different birds).
The thing with safflower is that they are not favored by most birds, including larger birds such as starlings and grackles—and what is more, even squirrels don’t like them either! So, offering safflower would mean that your cardinals won’t be disturbed by other birds or critters.
What do cardinals eat at feeders?
Apart from seeds, cardinals like eating berries, peanuts (as well as nuts of other varieties), cracked corn, suet, etc. Depending on the season and the feeder you’re using, you can offer one or more of these foods at your cardinal feeder. Cardinals like to feast on insects, too, so dried mealworms are another good option, especially if you’re using a tray feeder.
What is the best bird feeder for cardinals?
If you’ll be feeding seeds only, we recommend the Perky Pet 325S Panorama Bird Feeder as one of the best feeders for feeding cardinals. This is a squirrel-proof model that holds a whopping 2 lbs of seeds and features a double perch+ tray design.