Hand Held Hummingbird Feeders – start feeding hummingbirds by hand with these highest rated feeders of 2018. Top feeders for sale, reviews & more.
Hummingbirds have so many amazing qualities, it’s no wonder that we want to be able to capture a little of that magic up close. There are just certain characteristics that we don’t get to enjoy when they are further away from us. Handheld hummingbird feeders are a great way to interact with the little hummers and give them the nectar they love to feed on. In this article we take a look at the top 5 hand held feeders you can acquire.
Top 5 Hand Held Hummingbird Feeder Reviews of 2018
You’ll get three small, red feeders with a yellow feeding flower to bring the hummingbirds right to the palm of your hand. You also get instructions on how to get the attention of the little hummers, as well as six sugar packs. With all of the extra goodies, you’ll be pleased with this purchase.
When you have a fun event coming up, feeding hummingbirds by hand is a great way to keep everyone entertained. You get 5 feeders in this package, instructions, and 10 sugar packs. The red top with a feeding flower is the perfect combination to bring in many hummingbirds, so everyone has a turn to enjoy them up close and personal.
This versatile feeder can be used as a hand feeder, as well as a window feeder. It is one of the best-rated feeders for training your hummingbirds to come to you swiftly and easily. The red flower feeders have realistic look to signal to the tiny birds. You get six of these wonderful handheld hummingbird feeders and a free cleaning brush with every purchase.
Check it out: http://www.hummingbirdsplus.org/WindBirdFeeder
You can decide whether you want to purchase one handheld hummingbird feeder, three, or five. These easily fit in your pocket or purse when traveling and make a great addition to any outdoor adventure. They come with sugar packs and instructions, so you can get started seeing hummingbirds up close as soon as your feeder arrives in the mail.
Check it out: http://www.hummingbirdsplus.org/MiniHandHeldFeeder
This hummingbird hand feeding kit makes a fantastic gift, so when you get one for yourself you might as well go ahead and get 2. You get sugar packs, a book about the hummingbirds, a hand feeder, and a mini window feeder. All of the tools you need are included, so you can start seeing these miraculous little creatures and all of their beautiful markings.
How to hand feed hummingbirds at home
When you want to start feeding hummingbirds by hand, there a few different methods that you can take. If you are feeding them out of your own backyard, they may already have a hummingbird feeder or two that they frequent on a regular basis. Start by standing very still in the area the feeder is located. You want them to get used to your presence in order for you to successfully begin feeding them out of your hand.
Once they are used to you being in their feeding area, then you will have better chances of success. Remove the feeder that they normally eat out of and stand extremely still in the same spot that you did to get them used to your presence. Hold your hand out, palm up, with the feeder in the center of it. It won’t take long for them to notice the red feeder.
Tips for hand feeding hummingbirds when you’re away
When you go on vacation or on a hike, you can easily take your handheld hummingbird feeder with you. While it is easier to feed them in your backyard when you have already established a community of tiny birds, it can still be done when you are away or have never had a feeder up before. Here are a few tips to feeder hummers wherever you may be.
• Wear a lot of red. Hummingbirds are attracted to red and even though your handheld feeder will be red, it might not be big enough to attract many of the local hummingbirds. Find a solid red shirt, or one with flower prints, to wear and you’ll have better success at attracting hummers. You can also wear a floral or red hat.
• Find flowers to stand near. Hummingbirds are already going to be drawn to the flowers that are in the area, so your best chances of attracting them is to be near flowers and plants that produce nectar. Start by sitting or standing close to the flowers, and pay attention to what species of bugs and birds are visiting the natural nectar.
• Rest your arm and hand. Find a way to give your hand a break whether you bring something to lean it on, or you position yourself in way that your arm is rested on your knee. You don’t want to get shaky or move a lot because this will deter the hummingbirds from approaching you.
• Have patience. When you are in an area where the hummingbirds are unfamiliar with you, you might end up spending quite a bit of time waiting for the tiny hummers to flutter by. Don’t rush them to come to you. When they are comfortable with your presence, they’ll be ready to eat out of your palm.
• Find a nature center. If you still find that you don’t have any luck, try contacting a local nature center that can offer advice and possibly have a sanctuary available for you to enjoy.
Tips for selecting a hand held hummingbird feeder
You’ll want to select a handheld hummingbird feeder that only has one feeding port. This will ensure that you get the best angle to for your viewing pleasure. Also, make sure that you have one that is bright red and resembles a flower to capture the attention of hummers. They are less likely to stop if they don’t think your feeder is a flower.
If you decide to make your own handheld hummingbird feeder, you can easily buy Perky-Pet yellow plastic flowers to help entice the birds. Paint these red, or safely attach them to your red container. Once you master feeding hummingbirds by hand, you’ll be amazed at how calming and comfortable you and the tiny birds become around one another.